The Portuguese Association of Maui (founded in 1984)
The objectives of the Association are:
Create further awareness of Hawaii's Portuguese heritage through social discourse, lectures, seminars and workshops which provide learning opportunities aimed at preservation and perpetuation of this unique heritage;
Encourage and support Portuguese culture, folk arts, folklore and skills; including but not limited to music, dance, language, history and customs; to foster good will and social relationships among members;
Foster awareness of the unique heritage of each ethnic group in an effort to promote appreciation for all of Hawaii's multi- ethnic groups;
Encourage participation in events that promote good citizenship;
Encourage and assist promising students of Portuguese ancestry in furthering their education. Email: portugueseassociationofmaui.com.
Membership in the Portuguese Association of Maui is open to all interested adults over the age of 18, regardless of ethnicity. Dues are $12 per year for persons under 65 and $6 annually for those 65 and older. Meetings are held at 10:30 A.M. on the first Sunday of the month at Heritage Hall, 401 Baldwin Avenue, Paia. Call (808) 243-0065 for more information.
· Presenting the annual Festa Portuguesa Maui with music, foods, storytelling, playing bisca (an old card game), exhibits, culinary demonstrations and the opportunity to conduct genealogy with assistance from the Portuguese Genealogical and Historical Society of Hawaii.
· Awarding scholarships to students of Portuguese descent to assist them in furthering post secondary education.
· Sponsoring “Stories of Our People”---a twenty-six week radio series focusing on the history, people, legends, and geography of Portugal. Currently, the series airs on Sunday evenings between 8 and 9 P.M. on KEWE-1240 AM and 95.5 FM. “Stories of Our People” receives support from the Hawaii State Foundation on Culture and the Arts.
· Maintaining the Heritage Hall Chorale which sings in Portuguese and Spanish. Persons who enjoy group singing are invited to call (808) 243-0065 for more information on the Heritage Hall Chorale.
· Operating Maui’s Portuguese Cultural Resource Center at 401 Baldwin Avenue in Paia. The Center is open Mondays through Fridays from 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. and on selected holidays. Call (808) 243-0065 for more information.
Encourage Puerto Rican youth to attend institutions of higher learning and to assist them as far as practical.
Encourage and assist promising students of Portuguese ancestry in furthering their education.
The Portuguese Cultural Resource Center offers a glimpse into the European country, whose people emigrated to Hawaii between 1878 and 1913 to work in the sugar industry. You will find passenger manifests of the 26 ships that brought the Portuguese settlers here. Feel the keys to the gates of medieval cities, a brinquinho and charola from Madeira, the Azorean and Madeiran flags, chamarrita dance costumes of the 1950s and more. A library offers bi-lingual books for children in Portuguese and English. Read the sonnets of Portuguese poet laureate Luís Vaz de Camões (1524-1580), whose masterpiece Os Lusíadas is also available. Take advantage of the language textbooks for students learning Portuguese.